The Clerk’s office is responsible for recording the minutes of Council and Committee meetings, as well as communicating Council’s decisions to all appropriate parties. The office prepares and keeps all by-laws and resolutions that are passed by council. The office also performs statutory duties under the Municipal Act, Line Fences Act, Drainage Act, Planning Act, Emergency Measures Act, and other Statutes of Ontario. The Clerk also acts as the Returning Officer for Municipal Elections.
The Clerk’s department offers various services to the community such as Commissioner of Oaths and Civil Marriage Ceremonies. This department also issues , Lottery Licenses, Marriage Licences and Special Occasion Certificates.
Commissioner of Oaths
The Clerk and Deputy Clerk are “Commissioners of Oaths” for the purpose of witnessing certain legal documents, including vehicle transfers, insurance claims and livestock claim affidavits. However, they cannot certify documents such as birth, death and marriage certificates as “true” copies. They can certify copies for some applications sent to the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada). However, some applications submitted to the IRCC must be notarized by a notary or lawyer. Please check with IRCC to see if certification by a Commissioner of Oaths is acceptable. Neither the Clerk, nor the Deputy Clerk, are a “Notary Public” and cannot sign any documents requiring the certification of a Notary Public.
There is a $10 charge for this service. Documents must be signed in the presence of the Clerk or Deputy Clerk before they can be commissioned.
Please call ahead (613-774-2105) to make sure that either the Clerk or Deputy-Clerk will be available and bring photo ID.
Special Occasion Certificates
The Township of North Dundas offers birthday and anniversary greetings to those who have reached significant milestones. The Township offers certificates for birthdays of 75 years or more and anniversaries of 50 years or more. Please contact the township office by telephone at 613-774-2105 well in advance of the special occasion to request a certificate.
Certificates are also available from:
- United Counties of SD&G – birthdays over 90, anniversaries over 50 – Click here to e-mail the Clerk at the United Counties of SD&G
- Prime Minister of Canada – birthdays over 65, anniversaries over 25 (birth certificate/wedding certificate required) – Click here to view the Prime Minister of Canada’s website
- Premier of Ontario – birthdays over 80, anniversaries over 40 – Click here to view the Premier of Ontario’s website
- Lieutenant Governor of Ontario – birthdays over 90, anniversaries over 50 – Click here to view the Lieutenant Governor of Canada’s website
- Governor General of Canada – birthdays 90, 95, 100+, anniversaries over 50 (birth certificate/wedding certificate required) – Click here to view the Governor General of Canada’s website
- Her Majesty The Queen – birthdays 100, 105+, anniversaries 60, 65, 70, 75+ (birth certificate/wedding certificate required) – Click here to view Her Majesty the Queen’s website