Home » Services » By-law & Enforcement » Dog/Canine Control, Feral Cats & Wildlife

Dog/Canine Control, Feral Cats & Wildlife

Dog Tag sales information

Under the Dog By-law, all dogs within the Township of North Dundas must be tagged and registered in every even-numbered year. The Township sends out dog tag sales representatives in each licensing year to go door-to-door selling tags (sales representatives will be dispatched later in 2020). Dog tags can also be purchased in person at the Township Office, by phone using a credit card or by mailing in an application and cheque. Applications are available below:

How to pay

The Township accepts payment in the form of cash, money order, cheque, Visa, Master Card and Interac. Cheques and money orders must be made payable to the Township of North Dundas.

Tags can be purchased by mailing in a cheque or a money order to:

Township of North Dundas
PO Box 489
Winchester, ON
K0C 2K0

and we will send you a tag in the mail (please do not send cash in the mail).  Tags can also be purchased by coming into the Township office located at 636 St. Lawrence Street, Winchester, ON.

Potential fines

Non-compliance with the dog by-law can result in potential fines. To access the fee schedule within the by-law, click here (PDF).

Barking dogs

Please be advised that Council has adopted a written complaint policy, for matters that are not a threat to public health and safety. All written complaints must be submitted to the Township Office at 636 St. Lawrence Street. The complaint policy also applies to barking dogs. To access a complaint form, please click here.

Feral Cats

Feral Cat Support Programs


Wildlife is a natural part of the North Dundas community in both the rural and settlement areas. There are many ways property owners can reduce the likelihood of wildlife problems such as getting rid of sources of food and shelter on your property and putting out garbage the morning of collection instead of the night before. The Township of North Dundas does not offer a service to deal with nuisance or injured wildlife on private property.

The Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) has resources available to help you if wildlife is repeatedly visiting/affecting your property. To find a private local wildlife control service search “wildlife control” or “wildlife removal” on 411.ca.

Rescuing a sick, injured or abandoned wild animal
For information and suggestions, please visit the MNR website here. If public safety is an issue, contact the local police department for assistance.


If a coyote is repeatedly visiting your property you can hire a Nuisance Wildlife Service to trap and release the coyote at a distance regulated by the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR). Alternatively, if you live in a zone where firearms may be discharged, you can grant permission to a Licensed Hunter to attempt to shoot the coyote on the property provided you’ve obtained permission/authorization from the MNR.

For more information about living with coyotes and what to do visit the Ministry of Natural Resources website.