Services offered through the Clerk
The Clerk’s department offers various services to the community such as Commissioner of Oaths, Lottery Licenses, Marriage Licences and Civil Marriage Ceremonies, and Special Occasion Certificates.
Commissioner of Oaths
The Clerk and Deputy Clerk are “Commissioners of Oaths” for the purpose of witnessing certain legal documents, including vehicle transfers, insurance claims and livestock claim affidavits. However, they cannot certify documents such as birth, death and marriage certificates as “true” copies. They can certify copies for some applications sent to the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada). However, some applications submitted to the IRCC must be notarized by a notary or lawyer. Please check with IRCC to see if certification by a Commissioner of Oaths is acceptable. Neither the Clerk, nor the Deputy Clerk, are a “Notary Public” and cannot sign any documents requiring the certification of a Notary Public.
There is a $10 charge for this service. Documents must be signed in the presence of the Clerk or Deputy Clerk before they can be commissioned.
Please call ahead (613-774-2105) to make sure that either the Clerk or Deputy-Clerk will be available.
Raffle/Nevada and Bingo license applications are available at the Municipal Office. A lottery report must be completed for lottery licenses issued for previous events before a new license can be issued.
Do you need a lottery license?
A license is required even for charity raffles or Bingos. The price of the ticket or card has no bearing on whether a license is required. The municipality can grant licenses for:
- bingo events, with prize boards of up to $5,500;
- media bingo events with prizes up to $5,500;
- break open tickets for local organizations;
- raffle lotteries for total prizes of $50,000 and under; and
- bazaar lotteries which include: wheels of fortune with a maximum bet of $2.00, raffles not exceeding $500, and bingo events up to $500.
Raffle – $10.00/year
Nevada – $100.00/year
Bingo – $10.00/year
For further information and forms for lotteries in Ontario, Click here to visit the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario website.
Marriage Licences & Civil Marriage Ceremonies
Marriage Licence applications are available at the Municipal Office. Applicants must provide a completed Marriage Licence application form along with a birth certificate and a government issued picture ID for each applicant. Click here to access the Marriage Licence application form
Please allow 24 hours for processing before the final Marriage Licence is available.
$100.00 payable by cash or Interac (North Dundas Resident)
$125.00 payable by cash or Interac (Non-Resident)
For further information and on-line registration forms, Click here to view the Getting Married in Ontario website
Civil Marriage Ceremonies
The Clerk’s Office is authorized to perform civil marriages in Ontario. Marriages can be performed during or after regular business hours. There are a number of marriage ceremonies that can be tailored to meet your needs.
Before meeting with the Clerk to discuss your ceremony, please consider all aspects of the ceremony including rings, vows, additional readings for the service, flowers, photographer, witnesses, number of guests, etc.
Please note: Two witnesses (one for each partner) must be present at the ceremony, as indicated in section 25 of the Marriage Act (e-laws). The Township of North Dundas does not provide witnesses.
Civil Marriages $300.00 plus the cost of the licence.
Marriage officiants can be contacted for more information:
Jo-Anne McCaslin, 613-774-2105 Ext # 226
Mary Lynn Plummer, 613-774-2105 Ext #227
Special Occasion Certificates
The Township of North Dundas offers birthday and anniversary greetings to those who have reached significant milestones. The Township offers certificates for birthdays of 75 years or more and anniversaries of 50 years or more. Please contact the township office by telephone at 613-774-2105 well in advance of the special occasion to request a certificate.
Certificates are also available from:
- United Counties of SD&G – birthdays over 90, anniversaries over 50 – Click here to e-mail the Clerk at the United Counties of SD&G
- Prime Minister of Canada – birthdays over 65, anniversaries over 25 (birth certificate/wedding certificate required) – Click here to view the Prime Minister of Canada’s website
- Premier of Ontario – birthdays over 80, anniversaries over 40 – Click here to view the Premier of Ontario’s website
- Lieutenant Governor of Ontario – birthdays over 90, anniversaries over 50 – Click here to view the Lieutenant Governor of Canada’s website
- Governor General of Canada – birthdays 90, 95, 100+, anniversaries over 50 (birth certificate/wedding certificate required) – Click here to view the Governor General of Canada’s website
- Her Majesty The Queen – birthdays 100, 105+, anniversaries 60, 65, 70, 75+ (birth certificate/wedding certificate required) – Click here to view Her Majesty the Queen’s website
As of December 15, 2008 the Township of North Dundas no longer verifies births. It is the responsibility of the parent to register the birth of the child in one of two ways:
- Complete the Statement of Live Birth that is provided by the hospital and return it to the Office of the Registrar General for registration by the province. After you receive confirmation of your baby’s registration from the province, you can apply for your baby’s birth certificate.or
- To register the birth of your child along with ordering your birth certificate and social insurance number Click here to go to the Ontario Service website.
Make sure you enter North Dundas as the place of birth for births within the Township of North Dundas.