Municipal drains are an important part of local infrastructure. They are drainage systems that remove excess water from agricultural land, ditches, residential lots and commercial and industrial properties. Drains can include:
- storm water detention ponds
- creeks and small rivers
Municipal Drainage Policy
The Ontario Drainage Act requires that areas that need drainage have enough infrastructure in place to remove excess water. The Municipal Drainage policy outlines policies and procedures the Township follows to make sure we comply with all provincial legislation. Following are few highlights of the process.
- Set up a site meeting appointment with the Drainage Superintendent
- Complete the application from the Ontario Drainage Act website
- Applications with more than 50% of the drainage land, only requires one signature
- Applications with less than 50% of the drainage land will have to follow through the petition process as per the Drainage Act.
The Drainage Board provides direction and facilitates the procedures that need to be followed as outlined in the Ontario Drainage Act.
Tile Loan Program
The tile loan program provides loans to agricultural property owners to assist them in financing tile drainage projects.
You can access an Application for Tile Loan on the Ontario Government website.